"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jews first and also for the Greek.
For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith."" (Romans 1:16 & 17, N.K.J.V.)
The Church that meets here at Flavel Chapel strongly believes that we have the responsibility to faithfully proclaim the authentic Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. In that respect we accept the verbal inspiration and final authority of the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments as defining the exact content of the Christian message. We also highly regard the historical statements of the Westminster Confession of Faith and similar confessions as faithfully, setting forth the major doctrines of the Christian Faith.
We are not committed to only one particular English translation of the Bible since we consider there are more translations than one that faithfully try to render the precise meaning of fully inspired original languages of the Bible.
The Hymn Book we use is the older version of Christian Hymns which contains a rich collection of doctrinally reliable hymns that express the major themes of the Christian Faith.
The Church's own Doctrinal Basis of Faith reads as follows:
We believe in :
1) The Divine inspiration, infallibility and entire trustworthiness of Holy Scripture as orginally given and its sole authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
2) The eternal existence, unity and sovereignty of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit in Creation, Redemption, Revelation, and Final Judgement.
3) The universal sinfulness and guilt of all mankind because of the Fall, due to disobedience through the deceit of the devil, rendering man subject to God's wrath, condemnation, punishment and separation.
4) Redemption from the guilt, penalty and the power of sin only through the sacrificial death (as our Representative and Substitute) of Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Son of God.
5) The Incarnation of the Son of God who was born of the virgin Mary by the Holy Spirit, lived a sinless life and was bodily raised from the dead.
6) The necessity of the work of the Holy Spirit in regeneration to make the death of Christ effective to the individual sinner, granting him repentance towards God and faith in Jesus Christ.
7) The justification of the sinner freely by grace through faith alone in the Lord Jesus Christ.
8) The work of the Holy Spirit indwelling, sanctifying and filling the believer, resulting in Christlikeness, holiness, worship and evangelism.
9) The personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ, the resurrection of the dead, the final judgement, the everlasting punishment of the wicked and the everlasting blessedness of the righteous.
10) The one Holy Universal Church, the Body of Christ, to which all regenerate believers belong, under the Headship of Christ and the local Church, a company of believers meeting regularly on the basis of the Apostles' doctrine.
Whether you consider yourself a true Christian or you are simply interested in finding out more about the Christian Faith you will be most welcome to attend our Sunday morning Services. We especially desire that those who love the doctrines of grace and are committed to the Reformed Faith will feel at home amongst us as we seek to worship God and proclaim the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.